Every company has a responsibility to provide a healthy and safe working environment for its employees. Therefore, the risks of accidents and diseases that may arise from the activities should be determined and necessary precautions should be taken. In this direction, ISO 45001 certificate is a set of standards aimed at minimizing the risks that may occur.
What is ISO 45001 Certificate?
ISO 45001 certificate is the Occupational Health and Safety Management System standard. This document aims to identify risks such as illness, injury and accident for employees and also to take preventive measures.
It is the document that replaced the BS OHSAS 18991 standard in 2018, which includes best practices for occupational health and safety management systems for more than 20 years. ISO 45001 is currently implemented in more than 80 countries. It addresses criteria such as occupational safety policies, hazard assessments, as well as risk management.
Purposes of ISO 45001 Certificate
- Ensuring the management of occupational health and safety risks and opportunities
- To create a healthy and safe working environment for employees
- To increase the health and safety culture at the same time
- To ensure the prevention of injuries as well as diseases
- Ensuring legal compliance
- Supporting financial management
- To increase the performance of occupational health and safety
- Helping to improve the image of the relevant company in the market
- Increasing work efficiency
Features of ISO 45001 Certificate
The features of the Occupational Health and Safety standard are as follows:
- Complies with ISO's requirements.
- It encourages risk-based thinking.
- It can be integrated with the requirements of other management systems.
- It does not include requirements specific to other management systems such as quality, social responsibility, environmental or financial management.
- It contains the conditions used for the assessment of conformity.
- Provides explanatory information to avoid misinterpretation of essential requirements.
ISO 45001 certificate is valid for companies of all sizes and sectors. The standard is designed in such a way that even small companies can benefit and implement it at the same time. Therefore, every company that is responsible for creating a safe working environment for its employees can apply this document.
How to Get Occupational Health and Safety Management System Certificate?
Every company that wants to have the ISO 45001 certificate must first have an understanding in accordance with the criteria determined by ISO. At the same time, companies must prove their competence.
The steps to be followed in the document acquisition process;
- First of all, the necessary criteria must be fulfilled in accordance with ISO standards.
- The extent to which these criteria are sufficient should be checked. If it is not sufficient, the deficiencies should be completed.
- In the last stage, the inspection process should be passed successfully.
If ISO certification bodies see the business as sufficient to obtain a certificate, the business can become the owner of this certificate. Otherwise, it is requested to complete the existing deficiencies until a second inspection.
Benefits of ISO 45001 Certificate to Businesses
- It ensures the realization of the occupational health and safety policy as well as its objectives.
- It helps to prevent possible accidents. It also reduces accidents.
- It increases the awareness of protecting health.
- It improves the safety culture in the relevant company.
- Develops business models. It also provides technological improvement.
- It helps to provide cost control.
- ISO 45001 certificate ensures compliance with occupational health and safety legislation.
- It provides competitive advantage.
- It helps to improve the image and reputation of the relevant company.
- It enables employees to work in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Increases employee motivation. It also increases employee participation.
- With the measures taken in the working environment, it ensures the elimination of situations such as fire, explosion, machine malfunctions that may endanger the operation. In this way, it also increases operational safety.